Monday, March 18, 2013

Kids and Flying: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

PA180011 I can remember when my kids were young and flew across country with them. I flew with my youngest when he was just 12 months old and then my daughter when she was 20 months old. I certainly don't pretend to be an expert but I did learn some things along the way. Here's my take on the good the bad and the ugly of flying with young ones. The number one thing to know is that everything given to your child will eventually end up on the floor. Once it is on the floor it is nearly impossible for a grown adult to retrieve it gracefully. On my first flight with my little ones I had planned for all sorts of treats and goodies to help them handle the long duration.  I had new toys secretly packed in my carry on and lots of snacks to keep them busy.  However, all of my planning and preparing seemed to quickly come out of goodie bag and end up on the floor. Those new little toys would be held all of 5 minutes and then promptly dropped. Snacks were always good to keep them occupied and happy but they went faster than I had planned for too. Sippy cups straight to the floor. It was a major mommy fail. Here are some of the things that did go well. We had suckers! Theses were always a great thing for take off and landing. I had heard that this was a good idea to help with the ear popping. Both of kids did very well with take off and landing and I can't say scientifically that this is why but as a mom I sure think it helped. DSCN0013 We took the car seats. I know that everyone has their own opinion as to taking their own car seats. Even though I knew that once we reached our destination we would not need the car seat I felt that it would be helpful during the flight. I figured that my child was used to her car seat and she would expect to be seated and buckled during the flight. This would keep her from crawling up and down in her chair, or wanting to wander up and down the isles. I knew that I could keep her contained and happy (somewhat) in her seat.  Otherwise I would be fighting the battle to keep her sitting still. Was it a hassle to carry through the airport? Oh you bet! My poor husband carried the car seat and a backpack and a little boy from one terminal to another in Atlanta one year with only 20 minutes to get from one gate to the next. We were sprinting as it was and the car seat was such a burden. However, we learned our lesson and made sure that in the future our flights always had plenty of time in between layovers so we weren't running. This was a nice thing to change because it gave our toddlers a break from sitting, let them stretch their feet, use the restroom, and get something to eat. It also gives us grown ups a little break too. Cups with lids are a good idea even for kids who have out grown Sippy cups. My 7 year old daughter spilt her cranberry juice one flight. Thank God it only damaged the socks of the gentlemen sitting next to her and he was really cool about it. I would have given anything to have had a cup with a lid at that point. As the kids have gotten older they now spend flight time doing school work. Which is a great way to be productive, but just try keeping those pencils from rolling off the trays. iPads and personal DVD players are the best thing ever invented for traveling with kids. I don't know how our parents managed without them.
DSCN1080
I recently put together a treat bag for my nephews who were getting ready to take their first flights across country. They are 6 and 4. I happened upon these triangle shaped crayons (guess what won't be rolling off the tray) and these small coloring books and then found some sweet treats to add to the bag. First flights are always an adventure for both the children and the grown ups. It will be filled

Photo Feb 15, 3 18 20 PM






















with ups and downs but it always lands.
Here is another great article written by a flight attendant on great things for kids on a flight. Flying Pinto

My Favorite (Kids Travel) Things

post signature

So You've Booked Your Cruise Now What?












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...