Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Travelers Motto

I have always looked at travel as an adventure.  When I was single I had a girlfriend that I did a lot of travel with we were always going on "Big Adventures".  It was on one such trip that my traveling Motto was born.
We were on a cruise to Catalina Island, San Diego, and Ensenada Mexico. As I  was journaling of our first day before I turned off the lights a thought kept popping into my head "Remember to be kind" I wrote it down but, kept thinking it seemed very out of place.  I was on vacation, a thrilling adventure!  It was a Christian Cruise with lots of single Christians on board.  Shouldn't being kind be a given.  It wasn't like I was a mean girl anyway.  
pdf014pdf013

Funny thing, circumstances and situations did come up that week where I did need to remember to be kind. It was becoming apparent to me as I thought back to my journal entry that perhaps God was whispering words of wisdom to me.  It made me stop and consider how I responded and reacted to those around me, not just my girlfriend but, those I was meeting and getting to know.  As it turns out of those travelers I was meeting one turned out to he my future husband, plus his brothers, my future brothers-in-law, and many of his friends that I still attend church with today.
cutting cakeScan10037

I now think about those words every time I get ready for a big vacation.  I think about the people I will meet.  It is not just a warning to me to guard my actions but, also a call to be bold.  I am more of an introvert and I need to remind myself to make that effort to meet someone new.  
Over the years I have been fortunate to meet some wonderful people who have enriched my life and travels.  As much as I look forward to the scenery and locations I now know the people I will meet are just as much a part of my vacations, memories, and perhaps even future.  
So, as I travel I remember to be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...